It’ s the district city since 1992 and an important economic and administrative centre of the Poro area and one of the main industrialist and maritime places in the region. It is considered “a garden over the sea” for its geographical position, 550 m. above sea level, located on a hill where you can enjoy an extraordinary panoramic sight, that goes from the luxuriant mountains of the Serre mountains to the blue waters of the Tyrrhenian Sea.
It has 33.700 inhabitans in 11 towns: Piscopio, Vena Superiore, Vena Media, Vena Inferiore, Vibo Marina, Porto Salvo, Bivona, Triparni, Trainiti, Longobardi e San Pietro di Bivona. Its ancient origin goes back to the age of Magna Grecia and still today it is remembered thanks its ancient name “Hipponium”, that belonged to the Greek authoritative colony. During its millenial history, Vibo Valentia had different names, all answerable to the evolution of the city in the historical epoches: Hipponion, Vibona, Monteleone of Calabria and since 1972 Vibo Valentia. This old centre has an extraordinary patrimony of natural and architectural beauties, of history, of culture and popular traditions.
The most important monuments are: the Norman Swabian Castle of 1055, where there is inside the archaeological museum “Vito Capialbi”, which includes many finds of prehistoric age, Neolithic arm and other objects in bronze and iron from the its territory: Hipponium walls of the VI century b C; many religious monuments, as the Cathedral of Santa Maria Maggiore, Saint Leoluca, patron of the city, the church of Santa Maria degli Angeli, S. Michael Church, the convent of the Capuchin fathers and many other of extraordinary sacred charms. Near the castle is the more ancient part of the city and the historical centre, that presents a lot of noble buildings, with their splendid portals in stone and courtyards, as Capialbi building, Romei, D’Alocontres, Gagliardi and Di Francia.