With its church situated above, the island is one of the simbols of Tropea, easily visible from the terraces of the historic centre facing the sea. It was once an islands but the continual silting process has rejoined it to the mainland.
The church, with its lawns adorned with various succulent plants and Mediterranean flowers, can be reached by climbing a flight of steps. Built by the Benedictines, it has late-medieval origins and has undergone substantial alterations; during the Renaissance period it was converted into a Latin basilica. Further alterations were also made during the subsequent periods, in particular following the various earthquakes in the area. Since 1060 it has been under the jurisdiction of the Benedectine Abbey of Montecassino.